More racing info

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: More racing info
From: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 08:11:42 -0700
Here is more from Davey:

 Another HSC Alpine Vignette, at the '63 Riverside National race I needed
cut my lap times as there were a couple or three Speedsters faster than I.

Turn 7 on the short course was right between 2nd and 3rd gear, and I had
been
using 3rd. In my desperation to cut my times I started using 2nd gear,
this
put the engine revs right at the max. at 7000-7200 at about 3/4 of the way

thru the turn, leaving me to feather the throttle for a short moment
before
the start of turn 7-A that lead onto the straight. As it turned out this
was
not a good plan. The engine blew up in a big way in the race, in turn 7
putting a rod thru the side of the block. For some reason I still have the

rod that went through metal massacre as it found its way outside the
block.
This problem might not have happened if the gear box had a true close
ratio
gear set.