gearbox update

To: "Alpine" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: gearbox update
From: "lauri lehtinen" <lauri.lehtinen@pp.nic.fi>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 00:26:26 +0300
Brief history:
My 1/2-synchro gearbox in S4 1964 lost its bite - no, it lost some teeth from
1st and reverse. I got a full synchro from Hillman Super minx -66 (box was
dated 10/10 66). I fit that box with no trouble, but it had a tendency to leak
now and then. I forgot to check oil level, and during a "long" motorway run
box got noisy. Noise was quite loud, like there been small stones in. But it
went silent after cooling.
    We took it out with my son-in-law, and bearings were hurt. All was still
working and in shape, but it was easy to feel with fingers that time of
Requiem is in hands, and furneral pyre at steel works is waiting. I think oil
level was high enough to lubricate but too low to cool mechanical parts.
    I got a spares box (-69 "baby Barracuda" Alpine) from my garage (in my
former house I had it under my pillow). Bits are quite easy to mix, there is
only an exeption with splines on main saft ( on 3rd??).

Main problem:
My 23 years old son-in-law is much better mechanist than I (tough I have Bc of
sci level in tech. / chem.). He is building those 2 boxes to one running
example again. ARE THERE ANY SPECIAL PROBLEMS we can hit only afterwards? Some
difficulties we can't imagine before we have fit box again? (We took it out
when Alpine was sitting on a car trailer. I still have small nuts and washers
in my beard after 20 minutes in a lake and 45 minutes in sauna.)

Ignore this message if you think I used your valuable time in vain, again.

Larry

Helsinki
(no rain or floods in Scandinavia at the moment.)