Re: Driving with overdrive

To: John Slade <edalsj@igs.net>,
Subject: Re: Driving with overdrive
From: ssage@socal.rr.com
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 10:20:43 -0700
John Slade wrote:

> .............just what the Alpine needed. However, on switching the
> overdrive off, it occured so swiftly that the rear wheels chirped as
> they slowed down. Next time I did it I touched the gas at the same time,
> but the result was the same...instant disengagement and chirping rear
> tires......

John:
I'm driving a Tiger now but have owned several Alpines through the years. When I
had an overdrive installed in my last Series V Alpine, it totally transformed
the car for the better and made it usable as a real every day driver. No more
having to yell over engine noise to carry on a conversation and no problem
cruising at 75 or 80 MPH (or above) all day long on the freeway.

The owners handbooks say to do as you have done, just flick the switch in and
out of OD, and I think it even says specifically there's no need to use the
clutch. I hate to disagree with the factory, but without using the clutch I got
exactly the same results you have: a sudden change in RPMs and the jerk on the
car and sometimes the tire chirp.

To solve this problem, just push in the clutch, hit the OD switch, and release
the clutch. Once you get used to timing it, it takes no longer than an ordinary
shift change and shifting in and out of OD will be as smooth as your other
shifts. Give it a try.

Steve Sage