Re: Brake Caliper in Freezer

To: GSTROM99@aol.com, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brake Caliper in Freezer
From: Jason Raser <jasonraser@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 08:00:30 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks to everyone especially Curt.

The brake caliper repair kit I was using came in a box
of extra parts from the previous owner.  It's just a
bad kit from an aftermarket supplier.  Moprod is the
manufacturer and the part number is M2501.  It has a
sticker that said it's made in Britain.

I bought the Girling kit from Curt and when you
compare the dust seals you see that the Girling kit
has the outer part of the seal (attaches to piston) in
a smaller diameter than the other part of the seal
(attaches to the caliper).  I think this made a
difference.  While I was at it I bought a new piston
too.  The piston I had was the original piston and in
good shape.  But the pistons Curt sells are stainless
steel and have a more rounded edge on the piston.  The
new piston also has a wider channel for the dust seal
to seat in.

I think the combination of the good Girling seal and
the rounded piston really helped.  The piston went in
the first time I tried.

If I were to do this again I would buy the Girling kit
and 4 new pistons.

The car stops great now.  Only thing I noticed was the
left wheel locks up before the right.  I'm going to
drive it a few miles to see if that situation changes.
 The car stops straight with no hands on the steering
wheel.

The other thing I noticed was a squeal from the left
wheel right after I started driving.  It went away
before I got back in the driveway.  I pulled the wheel
and found nothing out of order.  I made sure the pins
that hold the brake shoes in were not binding and
actually put some caliper grease on them.

Thanks again to everyone for your advice.

Jason