Alpine mystery gripe. Can you help?

To: <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Alpine mystery gripe. Can you help?
From: "Louis & Laila" <bwana@c2i2.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 06:56:44 -0700
My daily driver alpine has been causing me grief. Sometimes it is hard to
start, then it will start right up. Sometimes it will run for a 100 yards,
then it will just die. If I leave it in gear, it might start right up.
Cranking it over will start it eventually. Stater is working fine so it leads
me to believe it is in the ignition. It doesn't sputter, it just dies so I am
sure it is not fuel. I have a crane electronic system that has worked
flawlessly for 10 years. The coil that I thought might be causing it, has been
swapped out. I have checked all grounds. Anyone have an idea from previous
experience? Lou