Re: wires to mags

To: "alpines@autox.team.net" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: wires to mags
From: ellis838@concentric.net
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 22:28:11 -0400
 I swapped from steel to wires and am now going to go back to steel
wheels, well actually minilites. When I swapped to wires I used a rear
end from an early SV with manual adjust brakes my car is a mid
production SV with self adjust brakes.  When I decided to go back to
bolt on wheels I pulled the hubs off my original mid production rear and
they are not the same as the early SV rear.  Before all this hub
pulling, which is not a lot of fun, I understood the hub change was made
with the SV so figured I was good to go. I now believe my early SV rear
is the same as the SIV and earlier or was a left over SIV rear that made
its way into the SV production but then with cars this old who knows
what has been changed by the previous owners. While it may be that the
hub change went hand in hand with the change to auto adjust rear brakes
I would not bet on it and the only way to know what you have for sure is
to pull a hub. The smart move might be to get the entire rear of the
wheel type you want and give it a once over ring gear bolts bearings and
seals clean paint and swap the whole thing.  Having gone the wire wheel
route I will say this they look great but finding someone who can get
the balance right is a challenge..... Jim