Re: [Vin # Question]

To: <SerIIAlpine@netscape.net>, <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Vin # Question]
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 11:21:26 -0400
There are four numbers on you Alpine.... the first is the serial number on the
"Sunbeam Talbot" data plate... it should start with the letter "B" (indicating
the 1960's).  The second is the engine serial number-it is on the flat spot
above the fuel pump.  It should match the number on the data plate.... unless
the engine has been changed.  Then it could be just about anything.... from a
1955 Hillman Minx Mark VIII to a Commer truck to a 1990's vintage Iranian
"Paykan".

The third serial number is the chassis serial number-I believe it is on the
right front frame rail opposite the fuel pump (roughly).  This should match
the data plate number and will also start with a "B".

Finally there is the body number-this number is from British Steel Pressings
(the company that made the bodies) and does not follow any sequence that
anybody has explained yet.  It might have SAS.  It is also possible that you
are seeing a "Rootes Armstrong Siddeley" number...

Jan Eyerman
1962 Hillman Minx Series IIIC Convertible
1973 Hillman Avenger DL

SerIIAlpine@netscape.net wrote:
Do Alpines have a different Vin # than the chassis #
The paperwork for my car indicates a VIN# starting with SAS...
Where would this # be located and what would the plate look like.

Thas isn't a Salvage Vehicle is it?

Any help appreciated.

Eric
'62 serII