Non Sunbeam, just some fun in our troubled times

To: <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Non Sunbeam, just some fun in our troubled times
From: "Steven Graham" <sjgraham@bigpond.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 19:44:43 +1000
I know this is not Sunbeam however it was printed in our local Sunbeam
Newsletter who got it from the Local Hillman News. well worth a read.

Growing up in Australia (or anywhere else for that matter)

I'm talking about hide and seek in the local park. The corner milk bar,
hopscotch, billy carts, cricket in front of of the garbage bin, skipping,
handstands, footy on the best lawn in the street, blisters on your palms from
the monkey bars.

British Bulldog, 1-2-3, go home stay home, slip'n'slide, the trampoline with
water on it, hula hoops, pogo sticks, stepping in enormous puddles, mud pies,
and building dams in the gutter so your paper boats will float.

The smell of the sun and fresh cut grass.

Big Bubbles No troubles with Hubba Bubble bubble gum. A chock-top Mr Whippy
cone on a warm summer night after you've chased him around the block. When
20cents worth of mixed lollies was a meal and smoking fags was really cool.

Wait  - how about - watching Saturday morning cartoons. short commercials, The
Thunderbirds (if you got up reeeeeerly early). The Smurfs, Astro Boy. He-Man,
Captain Caveman, Lost Planet, Archie, and Heeeey,heeeey,heeeey. it's faaaaaat
Albert.  or staying up late and sneaking a look at the reeeeeey cool AO
programs on the second telly.

When around the corner seemed far away, and going into town seemed like going
somewhere. A million mozzie bites, wasp and bee stings, sticky fingers. Cops
and robbers, Cowboys and Indians, riding bikes,catching tadpoles. Marco Polo (
I assume cat) in the neighbourhood pool (fish outer water!!! NOOOOOOO)

Drawing all over the road with chalk. Climbing trees, and falling off the
rotten bough,  feeling the pain for quite some time. building cubbies out of
every piece of sheet/ply/timber you could find. Walking to school, no matter
what the weather.

Running untill you were out of breath. Laughing so loud that your stomach
hurt. Jumping on yhe bed. Pillow fights. Spinning around, getting dizzy and
falling down.

Being tired from playing.........................remember that?

The worst embarrassment was being picked last for the team. water ballons were
the ultimate weapon.

Cricket Cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a motor bike. Eating raw
jelly, Making homemade lemonade, sucking on a Funny Face of red Freeza.

Remember when--------------there were only two types of sneakers - girls and
boys. Dunlop Volleys with green'n gold or blue, and the only time you wore
them was for "Sports Day" at School. you knew everone in your street-------and
so did your parents. It was'nt odd to have two or three "best friends". you
did'nt sleep a wink on Christmas eve.

When nobody owned a pure bred dog, when 50c was decent pocket money, when you
would reach into a muddey gutter for a 10c piece. When everyones' mum was at
home when the kids got home from school, it was "magic" when dad would
"remove" his thumb, when it was considered a great privilege to be taken out
to dinner at the local Chinese restaurant with your parents.

When any parent could discipline any kid or feed her or use him to carry
groceries and nobody, not even the kids, thought a thing of it.

When being sent to the Principal's office was nothing compared to the fate
that awaited the misbehaving student at home.

Basically we were in fear of our lives, but it was'nt because of drive by
shootings,drugs, gangs, etc   our parents and grandparents were a much bigger
threat!!!!!!!!!!  Some of us are still afraid of them.

Didn't that feel good? Just to go back and say, yeah, I remember that!

Remember when ........... decisions were made by going eenie, meenie, miney,
mo.  or scissors, paper, rock.   "Race Issue" meant arguing about who ran the
fastest. Money Issues were handeled by however was the Banker in Monopoly. The
worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was boy/girl germs! And the
worst thing in your day was having to sit next to one!!!!!!  Having a weapon
at school was being caught with a slingshot.

When nobody was prettier than your Mum. Scrapes and bruises were kissed and
made better. Taking Drugs meant orange flavoured chewable vitamin C. Icecream
was considered a basic food group. Going to a beach and catching a wave was a
dream come true. Albilities were discovered because of a double dare. Older
siblings were the worst tormenters, but also the very best and fiercest
protectors.

If you can remember most of these then you have lived! Pass this on to anyone
you made need a break from their "grown up" life.......... go on == I double
dare you!!!!!!!!