Re: [Re: paint]

To: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>, Paul Heuer
Subject: Re: [Re: paint]
From: Bob Hamilton <hamilton@accesswave.ca>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 21:59:28 -0400
Hi Jan,

I don't think it was varnish but lacquer paint you are referring to. Many
coats were applied and hand rubbed in between coats to get the shine and
depth. My Sunbeam Talbot was refinished in 7 coats of black lacquer in 1985
but I believe this product is no longer available as it is considered
environmentally unfriendly.

Regards,
Bob

At 08:24 PM 2/22/2003 -0500, Jan Eyerman wrote:
>The usual finish for an automobile body in the pre-World War I days was
>varnish.  Essentially like a piece of furniture or a boat.  Coat of varnish
>(usually applied with a brush) and then rubbed down, followed by another coat
>of varnish and more rubbing.  I seem to remember that it took 10+ coats.
>Colors were usually dark (black, brown, green) but bright colors were possible
>also-but I believe that whites and reds required more coats of varnish.
>
>I believe that enamel was also used, but I have not been involved in vehicles
>of that vintage for so long I have forgotten.
>
>Jan
>

>Paul Heuer <pheuer@earthlink.net> wrote:
>Would they have still been brush painted in 1914? When did spray
>painting begin to appear? Jan, one for you...
>My Dad's 1936 Armstrong Siddeley has some very nice hand pinstriping on
>it too - that would be fun to reproduce.
>I guess it depends on just how original it has to be ;-)
>Cheers,
>Paul.
>

>The cars would have been hand-built back then. It was probably a case of
>anything goes.
>That would be my belief too!
>
>None of this any-colour-so-long-as-it's-black stuff at Sunbeam. :-)
>YEH!
>Thanks and cheers
>Chuck
>
>Russ

Robert (Bob) A.C. Hamilton, Waverley, Nova Scotia, Canada
Home Page: www.accesswave.ca/~hamilton
Sunbeam Talbots - Alpine, Drophead and Saloon, 1953-1954
Sunbeam Talbot Web Page: www.sunbeamtalbot.info
[Stable mates - 1973 Midget and 1968 M-B 280SE]
E-Mail: hamilton@accesswave.ca or robertach@ca.inter.net