Re: 1962 Sunbeam Alpine HELP

To: wiencek@anl.gov, lauriesbox@msn.com
Subject: Re: 1962 Sunbeam Alpine HELP
From: JACranwell@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 11:09:38 EST
In a message dated 10/03/2003 15:40:26 GMT Standard Time, wiencek@anl.gov
writes:

> lauriesbox@msn.com

Laurie,

1962 Should make it a Series 2 or 3. These cars would have been fitted with a
dynamo, unless an alternator was added with the SV engine. Either way, that
could be your problem. You should be able to tell, as the ignition light
should stay on if it is due to the charging system.

If it has a dynamo, then it could also be a faulty control box. The control
box is located behind the fusebox, up against the bulkhead.

Also check that the fanbelt is not slack, and slipping.

The fusebox is located to the rear of the inner front L.H. wing (fender).
There should be a small black plastic protector, which pulls off, under which
you'll find only 2 fuses. Each controls roughly 1/2 the electrics on the car.
There are no other fuses fitted as standard.

The radio problem I do not understand, as it should not draw enough current
for the sound to quit while the lights still work, albeit dimly. The radio
probably has an in-line fuse behind it.

I don't believe in coincidences much, so the 2 faults (radio and charging
problem) are probably related. I would suggest isolating the radio, then
running the other checks outlined above, so as to eliminate the possibility
of a short-circuit or some such related to the radio.

Good luck,

Julian 1963 SIII.