Hunter, SV and Holbay

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Hunter, SV and Holbay
From: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 17:41:23 -0700
Kristian writes:

>No, Hunter and SV are similar= bigger.
>The different between the Hunter and the
>SV are mostly on the outside appearance.
>No sparkplug tubes that collect oil or
>water. The casting inside also appears,
>shall we say, improved. I prefer the Hunter
>type before the older "sparkplug tube" variant.

I'm not sure what you mean by "sparkplug tube."  I do know that the Holbay
head and the SV head are identical on the outside, with square sparkplug
openings.  The original Holbay heads had a water port that was not
drilled.  The earlier Series Alpines did have round tube-like openings for
the spark plugs.  Perhaps that is what you are talking about.  Those were
NOT the SV heads.

>To have smaller ports then standard on an
>engine that is supposed to give more power,
>may feel uncomfortable for many.

It gives more power at the low end, at the expense of the upper end.  That
was the whole intent.  It makes it more driveable in every day driving.
The smaller diameter allows the mixture to gain velocity easier.  That
said, on mine, we opened it up to the full size and I am not bothered in
the least.

>This suits the 3.77 rear end with overdrive gearbox.
These are not generally available in the US because they came on a sedan
that was never imported to the US.  I know the Rick at Sunbeam Specialties
used to get them from time to time.

Jay