Replacing Rocker Arms

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Replacing Rocker Arms
From: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 08:07:14 -0700
I have a clicking rocker arm.  I believe it is because the tip has worn to
a point that I cannot adjust the gap right anymore.  I am thinking about
buying new rockers and wanted to hear if anyone knows anything about what
is on the market.  In the past, I have heard of replacement parts out
there being not so good, or had flaws when built, or that it's better to
get the stock parts rebuilt/reground/hardened, etc., or find NOS rather
than later, or visa versa.  Anyone know anything about the rocker arms in
particular?

That also raises a question about the replacement in the first place.  As
far as I can tell, only one is clicking.  I have run the engine with the
valve cover off, sliding in a feeler gauge on each rocker.  This is a very
neat thing - and certainly how they did valve adjustments for older cars -
and older cars still had the rockers out in the open.  Anyway, only one
seemed to be making the noise and only that one got better when sliding in
the gauge.  That said, I figure if one is going, the others are probably
just as close.  But, I'm not in a rush to spend all that money.  Also, I
don't know how often the shaft itself wears out and needs to be replaced.
Any comments on any of this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay

P.S.  I also tried to post this to the SAOC Bulletin Board with no
success.  I don't know if it is my computer or the web site.  I'll try
again later.