Re: [Baby 'cuda]

To: <Paul.Garside@ubinetics.com>, <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Baby 'cuda]
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 15:26:13 -0400
True, but the Rapier hardtop was essentially a Hillman Minx convertible with a
roof welded on (the Rapier Convert was almost identical to the Minx
convertible).  Most body components will interchange between a Series Minx and
a Series Rapier.  The same is true of almost all mechanical parts.  The
Fastback Rapier differed more from the Arrow then the Series Rapier did from
the Minx.

Jan Eyerman
Past owner of 2 1/2 '69 Alpine GT's
Past owner of Rapier Series II

Paul Garside <Paul.Garside@ubinetics.com> wrote:

As you say, Jan, known as the Sunbeam Rapier in the UK, and was very much a
coupe version of the Hillman Hunter, rather than a development of the Rapier
Mk V.

Rootes were styling magpies, with a tendency to follow US styling trends.
The original Sunbeam Rapier is credited to Raymond Loewy's studio, so the Mk
I particularly, with the full-width grille, does look very like a Studebaker
Hawk that shrunk in the wash!

>Roy Axe of Rootes, then Chrysler UK and then Chrysler USA did the styling
of
>the Alpine GT (called the Rapier in England).  Design work started at just
>about the time of Chrysler involvement so Chrysler input is possible.  The
>Arrow seems to have a great deal of 1964-66 Valiant styling cues.  The
oddity
>is that the Rootes cars show styling influences of PAST and current
Chrysler
>USA products, NOT future Chrysler products.  If Chrysler styling had any
>notable input, the Rootes cars would have looked more like Chrysler
products
>of 1969 then 1965.  "Style Auto" magazine had excellent articles on the
>styling of the "Arrow" and "Alpine GT" cars.  It went into details of the
>background of the designs and showed the styling mockups from the
beginning.>

>Jan Eyerman

*****************************************************************************************************************************
The information contained in this email and any attachments is likely to be
confidential and legally privileged, and is for the intended recipient named
above only. Any copying, dissemination, disclosure of or use of this email or
its attachments unless authorised by us is prohibited, except that you may
forward this email and/or attachments to a third party on a strict "need to
know" basis. If you have received this email in error, please notify us
immediately by forwarding the email to legal@ubinetics.com. Please then delete
this email and any full or partial copies of it.
You as the intended recipient must be aware and accept that email is not a
totally secure communications medium.
Although we have taken all reasonable steps to make sure this email and any
attachments are free from viruses, we do not (to the extent permitted by law)
accept any liability whatsoever for any virus infection and/or compromise of
security caused by this email and any attachment.
No contract may be formed or documents served by you on or with us by this
email or any attachments unless expressly agreed otherwise by us. Any views
expressed in this email or attachments by an individual are not necessarily
those of any UbiNetics company.