Wire wheels and inner tubes

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Wire wheels and inner tubes
From: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 08:11:49 -0700
Is there something special that has to be done when installing tires on
wire wheels with inner tubes?  I'm now on my second flat since getting new
tires less than 2 weeks ago.  This of course was all started by a flat
before that.  So, I've had 3 flats in 2 weeks.  I'm not happy.  They fixed
the last one free.  But, I don't want to go back unless I know if there is
something to tell them to do differently.

The tubes are over 10 years old.  Do they need to be re-powdered/talced
before reinstalling?  Do they just wear?  Could it be that the new tires I
got are just too rough on the inside for inner tubes?  Is there a special
process to make sure the tubes don't get pinched when installing?

Thanks,
Jay