Cam Troubles

To: <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cam Troubles
From: <cs_tscg@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 15:30:49 -0500
My car has been out of commission for a while due to an engine failure. I
finally had time to tear into it this weekend and found that the cam retaining
plate was disintegrated  causing damage to the timing chain. In addition, the
teeth on the oil pump to cam gear are completely worn and a few of the teeth on
the cam are broken. The ultimate question is which broke first and why?

Here as a history of the engine. This engine was rebuilt in late 98 by an
outfit in Marietta, GA who specializes in British iron. (I have since learned
that this guy has a terrible reputation). The engine was originally intended
for rally use but sat for several years all buttoned up until I installed it in
my late Fathers series IV early last year. The engine is a hybrid 1600 block
with a 1725 head. The oil pump was modified for the 11 teeth cam. I have not
removed the oil pump so I cannot say if the conversion was properly done. The
oil pump gear has 11 teeth. The hole between the block and the valve train was
welded-up to prevent oil splash or something  I never figured out why he did
this. I drove the car less than 2,000 miles before it failed. So the question
again is what broke first and why. Did the valve train get too hot due to lack
of oil and caused the cam retaining plate to disintegrate causing metal to
lodge in the timing change which broke the teeth on the oil pump and cam gears
or was the conversion not properly carried out causing the cam to perhaps
wobble which caused the cam retaining plate to disintegrate?

I just purchased an Isky 12 teeth cam from Ebay and plan to use it with the
standard oil pump for the 1600. However, I dont want the system to fail again
so I am hoping that some of you might be able to point me to the most probably
culprit.

I look forward to your comments.

Chris Stephenson
3 Series IIIs  For Sale (One beyond repair, One basket case but complete, One
GT body ready for paint)
1 Series IV
1 Series V - For Sale (Restoration Project  engine out but otherwise complete)