Re: Series 1 rear Axle

To: Wesley Moore <Wesley@linearbearings.com.au>
Subject: Re: Series 1 rear Axle
From: Jan Servaites <jservaites@woh.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 22:33:44 -0700
Wesley Moore wrote:

>Hi Everyone,
>
>I'm doing up a series 1, and wanted to paint up the rear axle, drum
>brakes and springs. Does anybody know what colours I should use? Or what
>sort of paint and preparation I should do?

Gloss Black. I don't mean the ultra-gloss that you see on the new autos.
I use Dupont Centari and it works pretty well. For preparation, I have
the axle housings dipped at a commercial metal cleaning facility. I DO
NOT recommend sandblasting, because it takes forever to wash out the
grit inside the housing.  When I receive them, they look just like new.
You could apply a coat of black epoxy like PPG DPLF 90, then the Centari
black.

--

Jan Servaites (Dayton OH - The Birthplace of Aviation)

              http://www.wright-brothers.org/

              "I am convinced that human flight is
              possible and practical."
                             -- Wilbur Wright, 1899