Re: Care of Paint

To: "Rob Wiseman" <alpine61@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Care of Paint
From: Roger Gibbs <rgibbs@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 22:07:07 -0700
On Aug 28, 2004, at 7:21 PM, Rob Wiseman wrote:

> Just a question for those in the know.  What is the best way to remove
> tree
> sap from a base clear paint job.  I parked under some trees and now I
> am
> covered with sap.
> Rob
>
> Rob,

There are several car detailing web sites, lists that cover this and
other detailing questions. Here is the link to a good one:
http://forums.audiworld.com/detail/

They have a search feature, search on sap or bug or bird. (Do not be
surprised if you think these people excessive regarding their treatment
of their cars )!

A couple of common ideas regarding bugs, sap, or bird droppings on
paint finishes:

1. Remove it as soon as possible.
2. Start with the most gentle cleaner method first.
3. Scratches generated by removing sap will then have to be removed
later.

My experience with removing sap is limited to sap from chinese elms and
pine trees.  If the sap is removed quickly water or water and car wash
soap is sufficient.  After the sap dries it is much harder to remove
and resists "re-softening" by water.  I have had success using very hot
soapy water.  Pyrex glass of soapy water in the microwave to near
boiling.  Cotton cloth dipped in water and then laid over the sap to
soak it for a few minutes, then repeat. A few times I have used
"detailers clay" to help.

I have tried solvent based bug and tar remover and isopropyl alcohol.
They did work as well as really hot soapy water.

Good luck,

-Roger

ps: remove it quickly as I have a few spots were the sap causes the
clear coat to craze.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: