Re: fuel starvation?

To: Bill Mounce <bmounce@rcn.com>
Subject: Re: fuel starvation?
From: Ron Tebo <mrtebo@telus.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 06:07:47 -0700
Bill:

Since no one else has replied, I will, even though I have no experience
with Strombergs, since my series I has Zeniths.

I would suspect the pump (as you did), except that you report that it
ran adequately in a test run. However, possibly a small split in the
diaphragm might prevent performance at cranking or manual operation
speeds, but allow fair performance once the engine is operating. Why not
try disconnecting the fuel line and slipping a large plastic bottle over
it to catch the gas, and then cranking with the starter. If you get
little or no gas, you know the pump is faulty/line or filter is plugged.
Also, Series V tanks are notorious for releasing crud into the lines,
and possibly that filter or the carb jets are plugged.

In any case, the plugs should be wet with sustained attempts at starting
and no firing.

Ron Tebo

Bill Mounce wrote:

> Evidence that it may be lack of fuel:
>
> 1. When hand pumping the fuel pump, I can get it up to the inline fuel filter,
> no further, although this may have something to do with having the fuel line
> disconnected from the carbs.  Having said that, when I crank the engine, I get
> fuel out of the fuel line.  Is the pump underperforming?
>
> 2. I tried for an hour to get the car started one day, then pulled the plugs,
> they were dry.  After an hour, I would have thought they would have been wet.
>
> 3. I see no evidence of fuel in the throat of the carbs, but must add I don't
> know what I'm looking for.  My SIV's Solex had an accelorator pump that made
> it obvious when fuel was present.
>
> 4. Once running it revs well, no flat spots, and pulls well in gear.  I had it
> out for a short run only, since it is unlicensed.
>
> Any thoughts on this?  Is this a common Alpine problem?  All suggestions are
> appreciated!
>
> Regards,
>
> Bill Mounce

Check out the new British Cars Forum: