Differential Rebuild Tip

To: "Alpine, Message" <alpines@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Differential Rebuild Tip
From: Thomas Wiencek <wiencek@anl.gov>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 16:43:50 -0600
Differential Rebuild Tip:
I just finished a complete rebuild of my TR4's differential.  The
ring/pinion mesh pattern is critical for diff longevity, so I wanted it
to be perfect.  Usually engineer's blue (also known as machinist's dye,
etc) is used, but proved unsatisfactory, since it's dark on a darker
surface.  However, white lithium grease proved to be perfect; apply it
with a flux brush (or other small, flat brush) for even distribution
across both sides of half a dozen teeth.  The mesh pattern is clearly
visible and easily photographed for your car's build log.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: