frozen clutch fix

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: frozen clutch fix
From: Terry McKitrick <terrymckitrick@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 12:05:56 -0600
One of the rites of spring.  My clutch was frozen again ths spring.  Last time,
I started it up in second gear, and used liberal thrusts of the clutch,
throttle and brakes to free it up.  Here is an alternative:

1.  Park in front of a large tree.
2.  Leave gearshift in any gear (I choose fourth).
3.  Depress the clutch pedal.
4.  Turn the key to the "start position".
5.  The car will lurch ahead, and hit the tree.
6.  This will not stop the starting procedure, as the car may have stopped but
the internal workings will keep on going, thus freeing up the stuck clutch.

True story (no damage)

Terry McKitrick
1960 Sunbeam Alpine

Check out the new British Cars Forum: