RE: "Frenchy" French Built Alpine?"

To: <JACranwell@aol.com>
Subject: RE: "Frenchy" French Built Alpine?"
From: "Robert Jaarsma" <jaars@cyberportal.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:12:48 -0400
No Not only for Venezia, the Venezia came later in the picture.
Touring first started assembling Alpines, approx 100 in 1963 and 1964 in
the new Touring plant in Nova Milanese.
And from 1964-1966, they assembled more than 400 Hillman Super Minxes,
for the European market.
Containers were shipped from Britain, each containing twelve C.K.D.
(completely knocked down) cars. Engine, gearboxes and rear-ends came
fully assembled. All the rest was put together by Touring.
Wheels, tires, horn, etc. were bought in Italy, while the seat frames,
upholstery, windows were produced by Touring itself.
Touring didn't change much on the Hillman, but found the rear bumpers
and fins unacceptable for the Italian market.
The above as per the late Mr.Carlo Felice Anderloni, president of
Touring, from the book published in his memory ( "Il signor Touring" )
in 2004.

You could have seen my Venezia in the flesh at the Tigers East/Alpine
East UNITED this past weekend.
It drove very nicely a  700  plus miles.
Robert.