Re: Wood Dash Finish

To: alpines <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wood Dash Finish
From: Ron Tebo <mrtebo@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 06:07:29 -0700
Dave:

Here is some advice from Jim Leach which I found in my archive.

Ron Tebo

Subject: Re: Dash delamination / Epoxy technology
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 20:22:33 EST
From: TIGEROOTES@aol.com
To: alpines@autox.team.net, tigers@autox.team.net, hillman@can-inc.com

Listers,
    Here in Seattle, there are several different Epoxy manufacturers
competing for the boat building trade.  Unlike polyesters (like Varithane),
Epoxy remains flexible as well as waterproof, which makes it ideal for the
hot / cold / damp / dry atmosphere an automobile is exposed to.  Take a look
at a typical Pizza-Parlor table, and you will often see a cracked Polyester
surface...that is a Polyester resin shrinking.  If the table is yellowed,
that is UV damage.  Modern special-purpose epoxies have good UV resistant
barriers, Such as System-3 Bartop.
    You do NOT want uncured Epoxy on your skin: exposure to Epoxy resin is
known to cause a chemical sensitivity that does not go away, and repeated
exposure will cause liver damage.  NEVER  wash cured or uncured Epoxy from
your hands with a solvent: use soap and water or a product like Boraxo.  I
recommend you contact an Epoxy-specific store and question them about their
products, as the technology is constantly improving, and it is replacing
polyester in many fields.  Neat stuff!
Jim Leach   PTC  Seattle