autox-cm

Re: Painting Fiberglass

To: Hottvr@aol.com, Autox-cm@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Painting Fiberglass
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 19:38:31 -0400
At 07:22 PM 4/29/01 EDT, Hottvr@aol.com wrote:
>I bought several pieces of new fiberglass for my car over the winter. I'm
>having trouble painting them. The primer wants to "Fisheye" and will not
>adhere to the surface?
>Anyone have any tricks for this problem? The fiberglass parts are new. Any
>ideas would be appreciated.

Mike,

Until somebody who actually knows responds, the only thing I can think of
is some sort of mold release, maybe with silicone. Have you check with a
good paint supplier or body shop? I've read that silicone causes fisheyes
and that you need to prep with something specifically designed to remove it.

Good luck!

Dick Rasmussen
CM 85
85 Van Diemen RF-85 Formula Ford