autox-cm

Tire life

To: Autox-cm@autox.team.net
Subject: Tire life
From: The Fortinis <lbracing@excite.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 13:09:24 -0700 (PDT)
I'm sure you all have covered this before we came along, but how do I best
tell when our tires are toast? We run on a variety of surfaces and lengths
of courses throughout the season, so counting runs is kinda like voodoo
(e.g. how many 35-second asphalt runs equal a 60-second concrete run?). I
know Hoosier Tom has told people "when everyone starts kicking your a$$, buy
new tires." But by that standard, I'd need a new set every weekend. And that
rule-of-thumb doesn't make sense when your CODRIVER/spouse is one of those
a$$ kickers ;->.

A kind competitor (Pat Bullis) gave me his durometer, which in theory seems
like a good tool to monitor tire life. He said new Hoosiers showed as 40 (40
what?) on the scale, but didn't know quite what value meant "cooked." I know
most of you run GYs in CenDiv, but any rules of thumb and/or measurements
you could share would help immensely.

Thanks in advance,

Ross/Paula Fortini
1988 Van Diemen

[Man, it was *way* easier to know "when to say when" in Stock class.]