autox-cm

Re: Suspension changes

To: cmathews <cmathews@theramp.net>, CM List <autox-cm@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Suspension changes
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 18:49:25 -0400
At 11:52 PM 9/20/2002 -0500, cmathews wrote:
>After all these years its time for a change.  Besides increasing the
>spring rate on the front springs, what can be done to limit nose dive
>under braking ?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
>Charlie Mathews

Hi Charlie,

Are you planing on becoming more active in autocrossing?

Basic options that I'm aware of to reduce "pitch" to the front:
    * Stiffer front springs, May require shocks with relatively low "high
shaft speed damping"
    * Stiffer front shock "low shaft speed bump damping"
    * Stiffer rear shock "low shaft speed rebound damping"
    * Lower rear ride height (may require stiffer rears springs which may
require shocks with relatively low "high shaft speed damping"
    * Silasto bump rubbers to supplement springs
    * Overall lower ride height
    * Aluminum cylinder head or other weight "lowering" actions (I haven't
tried this . . . too much $$$$)
    * Anti-dive in front suspension geometry (may have negative side effects)
    * Less "aggressive" brake pad compound to "slow" the reaction when
"nailing" the brake pedal
What shocks do you have? If they are "relatively old style Konis, they may
not be able to do a good job with stiff springs. You may need to talk with
a shock expert (not me). My Koni 3011/12's work fine with stiff springs.

Dick