Re: DM & EM minimum weights

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: DM & EM minimum weights
From: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 23:01:57 -0800
"K.C. Babb" <kcb4286@hps13.iasl.ca.boeing.com> wrote:

>"If you build it, they will come" has long been an
>argument posed by those who would like a class
>"made over" to provide more competitiveness for their
>preferred form of car.  Remember Sport Truck?  Seen
>hundreds of Street Touring cars coming out lately?
>Anybody being overrun by Vees or F5's in FM?  The
>rulemakers are rightfully typically a bit skeptical
>about such claims.

Agreed.  To a point.  I'll admit, I've got a bit of the
"I class."  It'd be a blast to have a class where my project,
a street driven MGB powered by a 3.9 litre Rover V-8, could
really be competitive.  A national class.  Yes, that's a
personal want that may not be the best for the sport.

And I agree, I've not seen too many Rice...uh, "Street Touring"
cars around, nor sport trucks.  However (here's the point of
my ramble) I do see a *lot* of kit cars show up.  And not run.
Had it happen back home (Little Rock) and I've seen it here
in San Diego.  Guys will bring out Cobra or whatevers, and be
told "see that thing that looks like a Can-Am freak? That's
what you'll be running against". (aside:  yes, I finally found
out San Diego has a Street Mod class, I'm not picking on the SD
region here!)

I do see some reasons/support for a class where heavier modifieds
run side by side with "streetable" (admittedly the difficult definition)
kit cars.  I do see such a class having decent participation.
Should it happen?  I dunno.  I personally think it'd be more in
keeping with the idea of "sports car" racing than catering to the
latest kids-with-money-to-spend-on-car-accessories craze.

-Keith Wheeler
Team Sanctuary                          http://www.TeamSanctuary.com/