Re: Speed-bleeders stock legal?

To: Autox List <Autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Speed-bleeders stock legal?
From: Cliff Loh <vcmc001@ibm.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 14:39:26 -0800
"Robert M. Pickrell Jr." <brnrubr@midusa.net>

>Speed bleeders are not stock, I think we all agree with that definition.
>So therefore they are not legal.

Agreed, but neither are alternate shift knobs, steering wheels
(pre-1990 vehicles).  I would guess that those items are more of a
performance advantage than a speed bleeder.

>The SEB must rule on this.

Yes, either a ruling or a clarification.  However, if they rule speed
bleeders illegal, then they would also need to disallow the use of
vacuum assisted brake bleeding tools such as the kind made by Mity-Vac
since the two devices allow a single person to perform the same
function.  Would they then also disallow the function of having a
co-driver help you bleed brakes since that is an advantage over
someone having to bleed brakes by himself?

For a rule to be applied fairly, it must apply to a) all cars in the
category, and/or b) all methods of achieving/performing the function
under consideration.

Here's something to think about.  A potentially parallel concept
(getting very nit-picky too).  Is a speed bleeder to brakes similar to
a tire valve to tires?  Both allow the competitor to adjust vehicle
performance between runs/heats.  There's no rule saying tire pressures
may/may not be adjusted between runs and IMHO, there shouldn't be
one.  Same goes for bleeding brakes, regardless of method used.

-c.
Cliff Loh, Vancouver, B.C. CANADA
"I started out with nothing
& still have most of it left."