Re: replacing struts myself?

Subject: Re: replacing struts myself?
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 12:01:02 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, Eric Linnhoff wrote:
> How hard is it to replace all 4 struts on my Neon with my new Konis by
> myself?  I just found out that most local shops want about $200 to do the
> job plus an alignment.  YIKES!!!
>
> I have basic hand tools (combo-wrenches, socket set, vice grips, large
> hammers and a lot of allen wrenches  ;^).  I also have some basic mechanical
> experience in that I've replaced a water pump, distributor, rebuilt a
> Rochester carburetor, removed, cleaned and replaced a gas tank, installed
> air shocks and replaced brakes on several cars myself.  All except the last
> item were on the same car.  I sure do miss that 1970 Cutlass.  :^(

Its not hard.  You'll want a 1/2" breaker bar for the strut to knucle
bolts and I think its a 21mm socket (check to be sure).  Two strut to
knuckle bolts and 3 nuts on top per strut.

After you've put on the new struts (and torqued the bolts to the specs in
the manual!) then go get it aligned for $60 or whatever.

Send me mail if you have any questions.

Mark