Re: Any Ideas?

To: dstohn@mediaone.ne
Subject: Re: Any Ideas?
From: ejbaylis@pacbell.net
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 19:48:09 +0000
Debbie Stohn wrote:

>Can y'all suggest any ways to help me prep for the upcoming season?

Welcome to the wonderful world of autocross!  In skimming the responses
you've received to date, I noticed nobody pointed you to two helpful sources
of information for novices (and veterans too).  First, get yourself a copy of
Henry Watts' great book Secrets of Solo Racing.  A lot of driving
information, but also basics about preparation and working the course.
Don't worry about not "getting it" all at once; it's a book I go back to over
and over, because there's a lot to take in.

Second, there is an on-line handbook, written by Kate Hughes of the Glen
Region, SCCA, called the Solo II Novice Handbook.  It's probably available
elsewhere, but we include it in our San Francisco region site, which is
www.sfrscca.org/solo2/.  At this site you will also find an autocross novice
handbook, which has a little more to add (but is geared to SFR events) and
an autocross FAQ.

Your comments about responses to your taking up the sport certainly rang
true with me.  I'm also a single female autocrosser.  I have a few pictures
in my cubicle at work: one is me in a kart (with no helmet), one is me in a
Formula Ford (where you can't see that it's me) and BIG CLUE: me ready to
autocross in my stock MR2 (which I drive to work everyday and we all
park together and most everybody knows my car).  And they come and they
see the pictures and they say "Who's that racing?"  Duh.

Anyway, it's big fun and I hope you get as addicted to it as the rest of us.
One of these days when I come back to Lexington, Mass. to visit my family
(when it's not December), I hope to come out to one of your events, so see
you on course someday!

EJ Bayliss
91 MR2T ASL