Hype RE: Eric, jblanken

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Hype RE: Eric, jblanken
From: Heyward K Wagner <sportscar48@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 21:06:56 EST
RE: Eric

So...... Chrysler took the time and trouble to design a car that is still
very much a street car with competition in mind (stiffer struts, camber
adjustability and basicaly stripped) AND made it available (cheaply) to
the
public in the exact same form as the winning race cars.

The problem is that the ACR was a special edition only for racing.  This
has not been allow before or sence.  The SCCA blew it by opening the
door, but never before had really hot street cars been allowed in SS
classes.
Now, are the Protege's and other SS cars that were allowed the trunk kits
available to the public, through dealerships, in the same form in which
they
are allowed to race?

No but how many ACRs did you see in a showroom.  My understanding was
that an ACR in most cases had to be ordered, just like the trunk kits do.

No.  So, IMHO, the cars that were allowed trunk kits no longer meet the
"spirit" or the letter of SS cars and should be ruled inelligible.

I totally agree, the spirit of SS is now long dead, it is just that I
believe that started with the Neon and was finished by the trunk kits
need to leval the playing field.  I know that the Neon did not get a
trunk kit, but I think so more mods (exhaust for example) were allowed.

I prefer a car that gives me some feedback to my inputs.  Be it the
exhaust
note, intake "honk", suspension creaks, pops or groans, stiff (non-power
feel) steering wheel, "gated" feeling shifter, heavy clutch pedal, firm
seats, road holding ability, etc.

Finally, common ground.....

RE: jblanken

But I also have to disagree that Chrysler invented the racecar or
performance package, or that they even advanced the state of the art of
such
packages.  Can you say M030, Y87, B4C, 1LE, Miata R and SE-R?

The difference is that a Miata is a SSC car and the Miata R is an SSB
car.  All DOHC neons are SSB.  In other cases where there is a "hot set
up" it is classes accordingly.
There have always been hot cars, even in SS classes but the Neon was the
first to have a "factory" parts store.  The rules allow any "factory
option".  Last I checked my factory did not sell crash bolts, ajustable
shocks or bigger sway bars.  It is the "options" that I object to.  All
legal Miata Rs have the same options.  All ACRs don't.

I am sorry for any negativity toward the Neon, on the surface it was and
is a great idea for grassroots racing.   My point is that the Neon has
changed the face of SCCA stock and showroom stock racing and I believe it
to be for the worst.   Had it been introduced as a separate spec class
(as it was done at the pro level) and allowed SS classes to be untouched
then there would be no problem.  Of course the flip side to that
arguments is that SS would have died had the popularity brought on by
Neon not been there.  The world may never know....

hKw