Topeka Open Track event April 10/11

To: autox@autox.team.net, neon@iastate.edu, Joel Ford <jford@neonramp.com>,
Subject: Topeka Open Track event April 10/11
From: JTHOR11@aol.com
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 14:51:25 EST
April 10 & 11

Heartland Park Topeka.

SCCA Performance Car Driving Event.

2 days of driving your street car on the road course at Heartland Park.  One
on one instruction with Nationally lisencened competiton drivers.  All
entrants are invited to the Saturday night party. There will also be an
Autocross in the paddock on Sunday. (seperate entry)

Entry fees:
SCCA members $155
non-members     $170 (includes trial SCCA membership)
late fee if after April 7       $20

For more info or entry form:
Linda Spurgeon, Registrar
3501 SE Skylark Dr.
Topeka, KS 66605
(785) 266-5966 ( 3 - 9 pm)

or try this hot link

<A HREF="http://www.kcrscca.org/";>http://www.kcrscca.org/</A>

"Performance Car Driving Events (PCDEs)

A great way to get started on the track. Don't be worried that you haven't got
a Ferrari or a Viper--we've had everything from Ferraris (and Vipers) to VW
Jettas and Plymouth Acclaims. The only thing in common is that everyone has
fun. Car preparation is minimal: change the oil and filters, put on new brake
pads, make sure the tires and shocks are good, clean out the inside (old
McDonalds wrappers, cassettes, golf equipment etc) and you're ready to go. You
will need to beg, borrow or steal a helmet (Snell 75 or newer) if you don't
have one, and open top cars (but not T-tops) must have a roll bar.
   The event starts with a classroom session for first-time participants, with
presentations on high-speed driving techniques, car control, where passing is
allowed, safety and the meaning of the flags. Then it's onto the track with an
instructor for the first session or two. Speeds are limited to 85 mph, so
don't try to set a lap record in your first session. When your instructor is
satisfied that you aren't a hazard to yourself or the other participants, you
will be let loose on your own. Enjoy."

If you want a perspective from a past entrant... let me know.  My entry form
is hitting the mailbox this afternoon for my 5th time at this event.

Whoomah!!

Jan Gerber
Omaha, NE