Re: wheel stud fatigue

To: AUTOX@autox.team.net, eric10mm@qni.com
Subject: Re: wheel stud fatigue
From: "Jan Schmidt" <jschmidt@kumc.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 21:07:17 -0600
Eric

Sparingly put some anti-sieze on all of the studs and they will last forever.
But don't get any on the chamfer surface of the nut or wheel . They need the
friction to stay tight. I would also recommend reducing the torque about 10-15
ft-lbs due to the loss of friction you get on the studs and nuts themselves.
Bill Schmidt CS RX7 KC region

>>> "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com> 03/24 3:15 PM >>>
How-dee!!!!

How many times can I expect my wheel studs to withstand being torqued to
the recommended 100 ft/lbs on my Neon?

During the race season I change the tires every weekend which means two
100 ft/lb torquings each weekend.  Sooner or later they've got to fail
with that many torque cycles but I never hear about such things.

See you on course.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
#69DS    TLS #13
'98 Neon R/T
<eric10mm@qni.com>

You jump in front of my car  When you know all the time
That 90 miles an hour  Girl  Is the speed I drive
You tell me it's all right  You don't mind a little pain
You say you just want me to take you for a drive
"Crosstown Traffic"  as recorded by Jimi Hendrix