Autocross Rules, Safety, and RESPONSIBILITY

To: Bill Fuhrmann <bfuhrman@isd.net>
Subject: Autocross Rules, Safety, and RESPONSIBILITY
From: Scott & Glenda Meyers <autox@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 10:33:59 -0700
Bill Fuhrmann wrote:

> The somewhat extreme safety level of Solo II allows novices (and not so good
> drivers) to show up and enjoy driving rather than worrying about spots on
> the course where they could wipe out their daily driver.
>
> I haven't seen anyone answer the question about any detrimental effects
> of higher speeds would have on insurance availability or expense.

God knows there are such circumstances where no one can anticipate everything,
and I think most do our best to try to allow adequate safety margins. There is
SOME risk in this after all, but our job is to MINIMIZE that risk by staying
within defined boundaries.

So how would it sound after an incident explaining to the lot owner and
insurance folks that the incident was not the responsibility of the club, but
instead that of the driver? Think they would want to take another chance on
such a possibility?

The PRIMARY responsibility of safety is OURS, not the drivers.

Please remember this discussion is about fast Solo 2 courses anywhere, and not
about any one region or site. It sounds like many places have had to deal with
occasional faster than planned courses. I know we have here in Arizona. A year
or so ago even though we put nearly 100 pylons out on Firebird's road course
to slow folks down there was still one corner that ended up being beyond the
norm. Will it happen again? No.

So let's review: The 1999 Rule Book (all highlights are mine) - Every weekend
there will be a test......
---------------------------------------
Page 1 Section 1.5 - "A Category II Solo Event is a NON-SPEED driving skill
contest such as.......autocrosses and slaloms.  These events are run on short
courses that emphasize the driver's ability and the car's handling and
agility. Competition licenses are not required, and hazards to spectators,
participants and property do not exceed those encountered  in NORMAL, LEGAL
highway driving............. The Solo II Rules are mandatory for use in Solo
II Divisional, Tour, and National Championship events, and standards set forth
in the SIIR's MUST be adhered to by all SCCA Regions who organize, sponsor,
co-sponsor, or sanction a Solo II Event".

Page 50 Section 2 - "Solo II courses should be open enough to allow good
competition......and should not emphasize high speed"........

Page 50 Section 2.1.A - "Courses must be tight enough so that cars run the
entire course in their lower gears. Speeds on straight stretches should not
normally exceed the low 60's (mph) for the FASTEST Stock and Street Prepared
category cars.......Turns should not normally allow speeds in excess of 45 mph
in unprepared cars".
These are significant other sections and wording covering obstacles and
barriers. That is in there to alert us to the fact that WE are responsible for
producing an event safe for EVERYONE.

I think this pretty well sets fairly specific limits. I also do not favor
first gear only courses, but suggest extreme caution and care anytime things
get up into 3rd gear in any car.

As long as we follow these rules and stay within these limits, we should be
able to put on pretty good events. The more we stretch and bend these rules,
the more risk we expose not only ourselves, but our entrants to. We need to
refocus on just what Solo 2 is.

If you want more than these rules allow, please find that thrill elsewhere.

And finally, ask yourself if you want to be responsible for the event where
the rules were stretched some, and a car loses a wheel or tire in the middle
of a 60-70 mph corner?   **What got my initial concern going was know how much
more
severe a mechanical failure can be at elevated speeds.** A Spitfire losing an
axle at 35 mph is very different than 55 mph. I have seen 35 mph - I don't
want to see 55 mph. Does your open Street Prepared car have a roll bar? Should
it? There is driver responsibility.

Well, thanks again for your comments. This has been a healthy discussion. I do
think some good will come from it. Once in a while we just need to step back
and take a long look at the big picture.

Scott Meyers