Re: DSP Neon

To: cblome@yahoo.com, jhadler@rmi.net, kevin@laol.net
Subject: Re: DSP Neon
From: SOLOMIATA@aol.com
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 1999 22:41:39 EDT
As a CSP competitor I want to comment.  A nationally competitive CSP 1st gen
Honda will make about 125-130 HP if it has +.040 overbore and a full tilt
aftermarket ECU/manifold/IR TB's.  A local/regional 1st gen with a fresh FI
motor and typical mods like a Integra ECU makes about 110-115.  A legal
weight is about 1800-1850# not 1600.

The light weight is a definite advantage but many competitors overlook the
fact that the car can amazingly transfer 100% of it's power to the ground,
they never spin an inside front tire, which makes it competitive also.    The
27 and 27.5mm torsion bars that are used by the fast cars equal about 600-650
lbs/in rate.  As an example, the equivalent in a Neon would be about a 900 lb
spring.   I haven't seen any Neons try a 900 lbs spring yet.  I haven't seen
any Neons with a +.040 overbore either (Yes, I know the Neon is a thin wall
block and you'd probably never get 50K miles out of +.040 overbore but it
will surely last 6 runs at Nationals.)

I commented about Neons going to DSP when this same discussion came up about
6 months ago.  I still stand behind what I send then:

<<

>>A SP fully built lb/hp ratio for:
>>1st Gen CRX: 1800/130 = 13.84
>>1.8 Miata:      2100/155 =  13.54
>>DOHC Neon:  2300/180 = 12.78.

>>(Before anyone says anything about the 180 hp estimate, keep in mind that
the
2.0 Neon motor is afterall a large bore/small stroke motor.  +.040 will give
even more performance than typical)

>>The 2nd gear final drive is:
>>1st Gen CRX         1.894*4.40 (high altitiude option) = 8.33
>>Miata                    1.888*4.30 = 8.12
>>ACR/DOHC Neon   2.12*3.94 = 8.35

>>The Honda typically uses the Hoosier Bias ply 225/45/13 at 20.8" diameter
>>The Miata typically uses the Hoosier radial 225/50/13 at 21.6" diameter
>>The Neon typically uses the Hoosier 225/45/15 at 22.8" diameter but somebody
will eventually put the 225/50/13 radial on.

>>The Neon has the best lb/hp ratio
>>The Neon has the best 2nd gearing, tire diameter independant

>>The only problem with the Neon is that no one has developed the car enough
make the 180 HP and transfer all that power to the ground and yet keep
steering response and turn-in good.  It wasn't until about 1993-4 or so that
the 1st gen CRX's consistently dominated in CSP.  Give the Neon time and it
will be the fastest CSP car.

<< > Kevin Daigle wrote:
 > > I do
 > > not think it will ever be the CSP car to beat when
 > you have CRX's with
 > > 160hp that only weigh in at 1,600lbs.
 >
 > HOLLY COW! Let's get a little spin control on this
 > here. I seroiously
 > doubt there are any CSP legal CRX's out there making
 > even close to 160hp
 > at that weight. Try 130 hp or so. But the weight is
 > a good call for the
 > lighter CSP hondas.

 According to the factory specs the lightest possible
 CSP CRX is going to be more like 1800#...

 Craig Blome
 Texas Spokes SCC, Austin, TX >>