Re: The tire thing^n

To: Paul and Meredith Brown <racers@rt66.com>
Subject: Re: The tire thing^n
From: Josh Sirota <jss@marimba.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 22:40:21 -0700
Paul and Meredith Brown wrote:
> So I'll ask a question:  what are you trying to accomplish with a rules
> change?    Or to rephrase it, just what is the problem with the current
> situation?  Don't tell me "street tires are cheaper to run" cause I really
> don't think they are, at least not in a competitive situation.  Local
> street tire classes are great.  It would be interesting to look at tire
> life there.  But I don't think that scales up to the national level.
> Forcing us to buy Pilots (or whatever the best legal "real" street tire
> ended up being) would be a significant step in the wrong direction.  Be
> careful what you wish for....

Just an anecdote -- last year in the San Francisco Region, yours truly
pushed for a change such that street tires (treadwear over 140 or 160 or
something) would be required for our local rookie classes.

Then I found out that some of our gung-ho rookies (hi Kit!) went through
3 sets of expensive street tires in a single season!

Josh