Lug Nuts and such

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Lug Nuts and such
From: "Tim Malzahn" <tmalzahn@tnmnetworks.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 21:21:06 -0500
Hi all,

Going back to a subject debated a few weeks ago regarding lug nuts and wheel
studs and torquing them down every race.

I had a race today and on the last run, turning left felt kinda funny, like a
whumpa-whumpa sound from the front. I thought to myself, "gee, it must be hot
tires or tires rubbing on the inner fender or something."

No such luck.

When I was changing the tires back to the streets, I could not get one of the
right front lug nuts loose. So I did not change one of the tires for the trip
back home. When I got home, I ended up shearing off the wheel stud trying to
remove the lug nut.

I think what may have happened is when I was torquing the nuts down this
morning, I weakened one of the studs enough so that it actually broke sometime
in competition during the day (last run.)

The stud broken is under warranty and I can have it replaced for no charge. My
question is should I go ahead and get all of the others replaced since I
already had one fail?

Also, if I have them replaced, any ideas on how much it could cost?

Tim Malzahn
97 Integra GS-R Sedan