Re: Alignment questions

To: "Rex Weatherford" <rweatherford@mindspring.com>,
Subject: Re: Alignment questions
From: "richard nichols" <rnichol1@san.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 13:31:13 -0700
Hi, Rex, you asked:

> I had -.99 degrees of total toe.  They didn't
>say which way this was, in or out.  Is this toe in or out and just how
>much
>is this in inches?  My rims are 16' BTW.
>
>Also the same goes for the rear.  It has a total toe of -.49 degrees.
>What
>is this?  Rear camber is minimal at -.22 and -.26.

I'm guessing you're autoxing one of the Beretta in your sig line, which I
always assumed was RWD, but if you have a toe adjustment at the rear, too,
guess not.

Personally, on all the RWD Fords that I've owned, I run/ran 1 degree of
negative camber at the front and have been very happy with handling and tire
wear (live axle at the rear, not adjustable in any direction, though time
and autoxing automatically gave it a skosh bit of measurable negative camber
on both sides at the rear).

Anyway, normally toe is measured in inches, not degrees.  But in either
case, a positive number would be toe out ("positive toe", or "more width
than achieved at the 'dead ahead' that's achieved at the zero toe setting,
when measured at the front of the tire"), and a negative number would be toe
in ("negative toe").  Think "pigeon toed" (negative toe) or "splay footed"
(positive toe) with people.  :)

Many people like positive toe for autoxing with a RWD car, but surely that
varies with the car and the driver and the course and the tires and the --
well, you get the picture.  :)

To convert degrees to inches, you could use this proxy from my own Mustang
factory shop manual, and shows these equivalent measurements (for the
nominal setting on the Mustang Fox body):

+.188" equals +3/16" equals +4.8mm equals +0.375 degrees.

(P.S. Don't confuse the (") marks above -- Ford also uses the word 'inches'
along with theirs -- with the (") mark that also means 'minutes', as in
'fractions of a degree'.  The above use really is inches).

Personally I like zero toe on my Mustang, and run it the same way for both
street and autox ('cause I use the same street tires for both).

Anyway, a little math and presto-changeo, you have inches to degrees (or
whatever).

Hope that helps.

Richard Nichols
rnichol1@san.rr.com
86 Mustang SVO TII 1C: ESP/FSP/?

72 Pinto Sedan 2.0 3J - Original Owner, Restored
On display at the San Diego Automotive  Museum,
                June 99 through January 00