Re: AutoX: newbie

To: Brian Porter <porterb@mediaone.net>
Subject: Re: AutoX: newbie
From: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 11:05:11 -0700

Brian Porter wrote:

> As being an newbie to autox myself, I'd recommend you stick with street
> tires for a while. I found street tires speed up the learning curve

Agreed here.

and are
> much more forgiving when mistakes are made. (so you don't waste a set of
> tires over a simple error) Plus they're cheaper..

Do not agree here, but I can see how this can be true if you are running
on certain tires. If you run on Toyos or Kumhos, I would bet that the
tires can easily be cheaper than your street tires.

I have seen folks finish a day's autocrossing on expensive street tires
and be not too happy.

Good reasons to use street tires:
1. You will learn car control more easily. The R tires will mask your
errors to some extent.
2. You have only one set of rims.
3. You are running in a region that has a street tire class.
4. You are trying out autocrossing.

But, for a lot of folks, once you play on R tires, even ones that suck,
you will not want to go back.

Again I agree with you Brian, if the R Tires you are running are a bit
unforgiving of spins or lock ups.

P.S. Jodi, if I got a chance to drive a new Elise, it would make my
month. I still am jazzed about autocrossing the Ferrari 355 Spyder or
the autocross ride in the Diablo SV. I *WANT* the Elise...it would be so
cool if Lotus imported it.

Randy Chase

Randy Chase
'91 MR2 CS