Re: Sun Roof

To: "Rob Robinson" <FastrTime@T-Three.com>, <KFine@SARCOM.COM>,
Subject: Re: Sun Roof
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 08:57:55 -0500
>the current owner being the ding dong that he
>> is has gone and installed an aftermarket sunroof.  Does this
automatically
>> toss that car out of the stock category?
>> Kim Fine
>> no car at the present time
>>
>    It almost guarantees a leaky roof and reduced resale value!
>
>    A good body shop could most likely repair the damage, so if the
price is
>right, go for it.
============================
I'll chime in here.  I don't think that an aftermarket sunroof would
disqualify the car from Stock Class.  In my opinion it falls smack-dab
under the "comfort and convenience" clause of the Stock Class bodywork
rules.  To quote:

"13.2 Bodywork
A.
Accessories, gauges, indicators, lights and other appearance, comfort
and convenience modifications which have no effect on performance and/or
handling and do not materially reduce the weight of the car are
permitted. This does not allow driver's seat substitutions. Delayed
shutdown devices such as the "Turbo Timer", which perform no function
while the car is in motion, are permitted.  This does permit the
installation of an additional mirror (e.g. a "Wink"), but does not allow
the removal of the original mirror. "

Personally I've had bad experiences with factory and aftermarket
sunroofs that leaked or broke.  Don't ask about the factory moonroof in
my last VW Quantum.  That repair took a week and a 25 cent ferrule to
fix.  That's why I'll either opt for a solid roof or no roof at all.

If it were me I'd keep searching for the "perfect" car rather than have
to settle for an "almost perfect" car but if you need to find a racecar,
err, I mean transportation quickly and you actually like having a
sunroof then go for it.

Besides, as some of my "friends" have told me, you actually have to beat
people before they're likely to protest you.  ;^)

Good luck.

See you on course.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
#69DS    TLS #13
'98 Neon R/T
<eric10mm@qni.com>

Mustang Sally,
guess you better slow your Mustang down.
"Mustang Sally" by Wilson Pickett