Re: Neon ACR and the SCCA

To: Jay Mitchell <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Neon ACR and the SCCA
From: Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 12:09:47 -0400
Jay Mitchell wrote:

> Paul wrote:
>
> >And that it was placed in classes where it could dominate was
> just a
> >coincidence????
>
> Look at the drivers who have won in this "dominant" car. Is it
> your position that those folks would NOT win in another car?

I dunno. Lets have them swap cars at the next Nationals and find out. I
will contend that top drivers are attracted to the cars that have the
best chance of winning not the other way around.

> >Perception? Take a look at the _times_ at Nationals. It would
> have won
> >CS, placed in 3rd in BS, and come in 4th in DSP. That is
> _perception_???
>
> Yep. Given the variations in conditions over the course of the
> event, comparison of times from different run groups at a single
> event isn't necessarily indicative of the relative performance
> potential of different cars.

Look at the car's times over as many events as you care to. I think the
_trend_ is rather obvious.

> Lessee here: it's a fwd econobox wirh go-faster factory stuff
> like slightly stiffer and more adjustable suspension. Sounds a
> lot like a CRX or Civic Si or a Sentra SE-R. And where are THOSE
> cars classed? DS, right. Now, that wasn't too difficult, was it?

If one car outperformas all the other similar on a regular basis, what
is so hard to understand that something is wrong with this picture?

> Yep, and the ACR fits that description. Just like the SE-R, BMW
> 318is (which won DS the last time a really top-notch driver
> campaigned one at Naitonals), Civic Si, etc., etc. what's your
> point?

What is the BMW doing in a FWD class in the first place? Put the 944
back in there...

> >Street prepared cars do not.
>
> Once again: the difference between Stock and SP is what the OWNER
> of the car does to it, not what the MANUFACTURER does. Not too
> hard to define, but apparently difficult for some to grasp.

The rule that allows the SEB to exclude certain cars that do not belong
in stock even though they come from the factory is there for a purpose.
Too bad it isn't used more than it is...

Paul Foster