Re: a question of semantics and inelegance phrasing (mine)

To: "Mark Sirota" <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Subject: Re: a question of semantics and inelegance phrasing (mine)
From: "richard nichols" <rnichol1@san.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 12:04:32 -0700
If it's alright with y'all, what I'm going to take away from all this
discussion is:

"When you're learning to autox, that is not the time to be worrying about
being smooth, like you've heard the 'great' drivers are.  First learn how to
do it right, then learn how to do it smooth".  OK, that last word s/b
"smoothly", but it has a better ring to it the "wrong" way, yes?

Regards -- and thanks for the corrections to my inelegantly stated summary
of what I thought I heard.  :]  Hope the overall message(s) was/were a
constructive contribution to the List.

Mark Sirota said:
> I'm trying
>to point out that smoothness in itself is not, IMHO, something worth
>concentrating on.  Rather, concentrate on the elements from which
>smoothness is derived.  If one concentrates on smoothness, it is
>usually at the expense of aggressiveness (and thus, often makes one
>slower).  If one concentrates on looking ahead and slow inputs (not
>stomping on the pedals, not turning the wheel too fast and too far)
>then smoothness naturally results, *and* one gets faster.
>
>And yes, that's a generalization.  But it's not a generalization about
>every driver's weaknesses, it's a generalization about mental technique.

Richard "I know you think you know what you thought you heard me say, but .
. ." Nichols  (naw, I didn't make that up, either).
rnichol1@san.rr.com
San Diego, California, USA

1986 Ford Mustang SVO 1C - 180,000 Miles
Street restored/Now prepping for CP Autox

1972 Ford Pinto Sedan 3J - Original Owner/Restored
At the San Diego Automotive Museum through 01/00