Re: Turbo guys get screwed again

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Turbo guys get screwed again
From: GSMnow@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 09:48:05 EDT
I also have lurked on this for several days, and finally feel I have to make
a comment. I no longer race my Talon, I am selling it this weekend if all
goes well. But I am an avid turbo fan. All cars should have BOOST.

I have been a long time believer that ALL turbo cars are poorly classed in
anything over stock, and even in stock many are put in a very tough position.
BUT hear me out, this latest rule is being done wrong. The update back date
in question should not be allowed. That is right, I think many things about
turbo cars should be more open, but the difference between the 1st gen and
2nd gen DSM cars is so big that they should be on different lines, this would
solve the whole mess.

The 2.0L turbo cars should NOT be forced to run against V-8 cars unless they
can run more boost. It is not fair, and the results prove it unless it is in
rain with the AWD's. BUT the way the current rules are written for everybody
with a turbo is that you can't change the boost,

WELL look at this.

1st gen car had low compression, ony 7.5 to1
low boost, only 11 psi, gove or take.
HUGE ports, over 20% more area then the 2nd gen. great for top end
A bigger turbo with too much lag for stock,  I know I raced one for a year.
A nice BOV that did what it was supposed to do.
A restrictive exhaust system that can be changed to free up some power.
An air flow meter that won't flow, Able to be chucked in SP
A tiny intercoller that can be upgraded in SP

The second gen cars run over 8 to 1 compression.
14 psi of boost stock
a small turbo that spools far faster at most autocross speeds
     At stock boost levels it does not fall below 60% efficiency til over
6000 rpm.
tiny ports that improve low speed torque with better velocity, but start to
choke it over 6000 rpm
A BOV that leaks just past stock boost level
      Hmm, you not suppopsed to raise it anyways

Where am I going with all this, THEY ARE DIFFERENT CARS!!!!

As for the turbo exhaust limits, THAT IS SILLY!!
Require the stock outlet elbow as part of the turbo, and that get's rid of
the restricting the waste gate outlet that caused the huge boost creep. I
would much rather see an allowance for a boost increase, but with some form
of easilly controlled limit like a pop off valve, but that is another story.

As for what power potential the DSM cars have, I can speak for personal
experience here. For an experiment, I played with a bleed type boost control
on my totally stock first gen DSM. the only mods were a K&N filter element,
and a pipe in place of the muffler, all else completely original. I had a
good mechanical boost gauge on for reference.

The stock EFI worked fine and ran hgreat to as much as 24 psi of boost at
lower rpm, but as rpm climbed it would hit fuel cut when the injectors topped
out. I did a side by side run with a DSM loaded with several thousand worth
of HKS parts and easilly pulled away in the mid range before the fuel would
cut and I had to shift. 0 to 60 times dropped to about 5 seconds flat. Never
did a 1/4 mile like that.

Turbo cars should be classed by what they can do, and with similar cars, I
hope the new SP classing is more fair. But when a car radically changes like
the 94 to 95 DSM, it should go to a new line. NO suspension parts can be
swapped, it is a new chassis. Only the engine block is shared. GM has used
the same block from 50's to 90's, but they have several line splits.

Gary M.

Sorry DSM owners, I want you to blow away the V-8's, but do it with the stock
turbo. I think it can be done, and then they have no one to complain to.