Re: Good choices for ST

To: richj50@bit-net.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Good choices for ST
From: Vince Bly <Vince.Bly@gsfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 12:33:09 -0400
At 09:33 AM 6/23/99 -0400, richj50@bit-net.com wrote:
>Here in New England I've heard discussion about what might and might not
>make a good car for ST.  The 4th gen VTEC Prelude is clearly capable with
>Mr. Bly behind the wheel and others have definitely hypothesized that the
>Sentra SE-R could be a contender because of the relatively good power and
>limited slip.
>
>Here's my question:  Given that ST allows most of the good stuff allowed
>in street-prepared, why wouldn't the best ST cars be the same as the
>best CSP cars?  ASP and BSP cars would most likely fall outside of the
>"sports car" exclusion, but there are lots of CSP cars with 4 seats that
>are much better than a Prelude or a Sentra.  For example, a CSP Civic Si
>hatchback or a CSP M3 would obliterate a Prelude or a Sentra in CSP, so
>why shouldn't things be about the same in ST?
>
>Thoughts?
>
>Rich Johnston
>ESP #177
>
>p.s.  Please cc me on responses.  I'm on the digest.
>
>-------------------------------------

Rich,

        Your's is a good question.  The M3 is out because it is only available
with a limited slip.  This also applies to the older 4-cylinder (E-30 ?) M3.
A Civic hatchback might be competitive, although the limitations of ST hurt
it relative to its competition more than the CSP rules.  The stock car is
down on power, but an unlimited intake system, 0.040" overbore, reworked
head and block, etc. bumps it up a lot.  Also, the stock wheels & tires are
relatively small, but in CSP wheel widths are unlimited and fenders can be
flared.  A key question, relative to the potential competitiveness of the
Civic, is: can a 225/50-15 tire on a 7" rim fit with reasonable clearance
on a lowered Civic without flaring the fenders?  What about gearing?  It
should also be noted that some of the best street tires are only available
in 16" or larger diameters.

        This might me a fruitful thread.  Certainly, all other things being
equal (which they never quite are), a smaller car is better.

                                                Vince Bly #49 ST (big/wide
Prelude)