DTN Nominee: JD Kemp

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: DTN Nominee: JD Kemp
From: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 11:05:34 -0700
Your friendly Ace Reporter nominates JD Kemp out of Las Vegas, NV to win the
esteemed 1999 Team.net Driver to Nationals Prize.

For the past couple of years now, JD has entertained us with his stories of
his trials and tribulations with that "other" woman of his, his E Stock MGB,
the one and only Lucretia McEvil. Perhaps you've read his musings in a
recent issue of North American Pylon, where most recently he told us of his
daughter's 10th birthday party where she gave him a sound trouncing at the
local go kart track.

On team.net, JD has proven to be a strong advocate and representative of
that minority group called Rednecks, and is a proud spokesperson for
sportscars of British persuasion. For JD, half of the beauty of possessing
one of these vehicles is actually getting them started in the morning, as
documented many times on this forum. As a daughter of a couple whose
marriage has endured the ages thanks to one of these contraptions held
together with bolts, duct tape, and trust, I can vouch that Mr. Kemp
understands the true spirit of autocross racing. It was forty years ago that
autocross began in a dusty parking lot with a bunch of ladies and gentlemen
in English built racers, some aluminum, some wood. JD Kemp is keeping that
dream alive. What with the lure of all these new fangled, begadgeted, high
falootin', and dare I say RELIABLE machines for sale on every street corner
nowadays, this is is no small accomplishment. JD Kemp is a living, breathing
autocross monument.

Originally from Tallahassee, Florida, and a fine upstanding member of the
Dixie Region where he caused much trouble with the venerable Dr. JK Jackson
and Carl Bennett, (aka Carlo Bennetti the famous I-tallian nightclub singer
and racecar driver - I don't know, that's what JD just told me), Mr. Kemp
and Lucretia now reside in Las Vegas, NV, and are now active members there,
bringing with them their own unique style of southern hospitality to the
Great American Desert. In fact, I have been told by anonymous sources that
so tickled are Las Vegans by Mr. Kemp's personable southern charm and accent
that he is often asked to play the role of announcer at their autocross
events.

I dare say, after all of JD's team.net posts and columns in NAP, I feel like
he is an old family friend. In fact, we at NAP are quite thrilled that some
big famous magazine hasn't snatched JD's away.

I have personally never met JD, but I hope to someday. I would cherish the
moment of watching JD squeal his mighty Lucretia around the cones of Topeka.
Regarding his never attending Nationals, JD told me, "In spite of my public
'braggadaccio' about Lucretia and myself, I'm aware of our actual levels of
competitiveness, and so haven't bothered with showing the world our true
selves..." Yet, I think this is something we'd all love to see!

And look at it this way: if you send JD to Nationals, no one has to worry
about the DTN guy outrunning you.

His words, not mine.

In fact, I'm more thrilled with the idea of merely IMAGINING JD make the
trek from Las Vegas to Topeka in Lucretia. I can only hope he doesn't travel
alone, and that hopefully a parts vehicle follows.

I also would like to say I find JD's posts to team.net to be some of the
freshest, helpful, most entertaining quips out in cyber space. Whether he's
inviting you to the latest event in Pahrump, giving Kumho advice, or
defending the Redneck minority, his tone is always most lively, as I suspect
just like the person.  I think we would all benefit by meeting him in person
at Topeka this year. There is no doubt that if he attends, Nationals will be
most memorable. That is why JD Kemp is the Ace Reporter's choice for this
year's Team.net Driver to National's Award.

Katie Kelly, Ace Reporter

Katie Kelly
Technical Publications
SPSS Bay Area