Re: How does a region foster nationally competitive drivers?

To: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>, "Paul Foster" <pfoster@gdi.net>,
Subject: Re: How does a region foster nationally competitive drivers?
From: Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@i2.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 09:24:54 -0500
At 12:37 AM 6/25/99 , Phil Ethier wrote:
>I personally don't think it should be the mission of a region to foster
>nationally competitive drivers.
>
>The mission should be to give the local autocrossers the most autocross
>enjoyment possible.

Well, for me, my enjoyment is almost entirely dependent upon whether I
am improving.  The faster I improve, the more I enjoy.  I'd much rather
get 2s faster and come in last place than win and not learn a thing.
I even have more fun helping another driver get 2s faster than winning
a regional event.

So, although I agree with your statements above, I don't think regions
should ignore the need to help drivers improve -- to setup the rules
to allow and promote learning -- for some, that's what its all about.

Brian