Re: Newbie/Novice

To: "jamnvr6" <Orion@tranquility.net>
Subject: Re: Newbie/Novice
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 01:27:39 -0700
>The last question I had is what sort of class would I fall into? The
>modifications to my car include an AMS Supercharger (Vortech), Schrick VGI
>(manifold), and Quaife limited slip differential. I suspect my car would
>dyno (w/ 17" wheels) around 285HP @ the wheels. Considering the extra
weight
>in my car (probably the same as 4 people in the car), would I still be
>paired with cars with comparable mods and or HP? Would I get some sort of
>handicap? How does it work?
==========================
Hi MIke, I'm in KC also.

Unfortunately your supercharger puts you in a Modified class with some
really hairy vehicles that aren't even close to being street legal anymore.

Now, having said that.  Just come on out to a local event and have fun
learning the handling potential of your car.  Don't worry about what class
you fall in until you really get serious about the sport.  Chances are that
you're driving on and will be competing on street tires anyway and we have 2
seperate classes just for street tire conmpetitors.  We also have a Novice
class so you don't have to run up against the "big dogs".  We here in KC
have a TON of fun and with 3 area clubs (2 in KC, 1 in Topeka) there's
plenty of opportunity for safe driving fun.

Sunday June the 27th we will have an event at the American Royal/Kemper
Arena complex from about 10 AM until 5 PM.  Registration usually ends about
2 PM and first timers get in for $10.  (It's always free to watch and ask
questions.) If you have a helmet, bring it.  If not we have loaner helmets.

The only requirements are a seat belt (or harness if you've got one
installed) and a safe car.  No major leaks, tightened down battery, no
broken glass, etc.  At the site just remove all loose objects from the
passenger compartment like your floor mats and cassettes and empty Coke
bottles.

We have plenty of very experienced local folks who'll be more than happy to
drive around with you and give you pointers and make sure that you don't get
lost on the course and drive the wrong way.

The following weekend (July 3-4) the other local club is having another
autocross event at Kemper (same place 10-5, registration ending at about
2pm) and on Saturday there is a driving school with plenty of runs (I'm
guessing 10 or more).  There will be instructors that ride along with you
and give you good advice.  On Sunday the 4th there is another Solo event and
each day will cost you $20 as a guest.

If you think that this sport is something that you might really like I would
highly recommend the drivers school.  There are no funky requirements other
than what I mentioned above.

Hope to see you on course.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
#69DS    TLS #13
'98 Neon R/T
<eric10mm@qni.com>

Patrick Henry:
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone
who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it
but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."

Benjamin Franklin:
"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary
safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."