Re: PROPOSAL: Super Street Touring Class

To: <dg50@daimlerchrysler.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>, <werace4u@aol.com>
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Super Street Touring Class
From: "richard nichols" <rnichol1@san.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 11:13:53 -0700
Without having read the details of this post, I'll have to say that
philosophically and strategically, I agree with the notion of a super street
class (which I've proposed in another way, in the past).

That's another way of saying, this poster and I have disagreed on plenty on
this thread, yet I respect his continued effort to come up with a solution,
rather than just gripe.

In order to preserve the sport of autox, it makes sense to modify it to
include recent technology (read, "what lots of people are really doing to
their cars").  Otherwise we run the risk of what's been happening to the
shooting sports (my own past sport):  the long-time participants age and
leave the sport, and the younger prospects don't see anything relevant to
them and so don't participate.

My own car doesn't fit into Street Prepared (or said another way, I'm not
willing to limit my mods to SP rules) and don't fit Prepared (which rules
are *really* designed for long-out-of-production cars, including Corvairs),
and it makes no sense to me to compete against purpose-built autox cars in a
class like Modified.  Those classes are fine for those who like them, they
just don't suit (IMHO) a turbocar that is prepped to the max for the street.

Locally that's left me in Street Modified, which does two things:  it's not
a national class; and since there literally *are* NO rules (OK, so slicks
aren't allowed) it attracts a different breed of cat than my street/track
car (read, "heavily modified Vettes").

Since turbocars are really hot right now, if you can't lick 'em, join 'em.
Find a way such as this proposal, to include the younger players.

I have only one request:  keep the R tires out of whatever this class shakes
out to be!  ;)  And for those who wouldn't want to be in this class, fine,
stay in your current class.  I know I would participate more if I fit into a
class with similar cars.

Richard Nichols
rnichol1@san.rr.com

1986 Ford Mustang SVO / 1C
VirtualTeamSVO Member

1972 Ford Pinto Sedan / 3J - Original Owner
Displayed @ San Diego Automotive Museum