Non-autox content: GIF files shakedown

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Non-autox content: GIF files shakedown
From: Craig Blome <cblome@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 08:08:52 -0700 (PDT)
This is only autocross related in that I know a number
of you operate autox web sites that contain pictures
in .GIF format.  Remember a few years back when the
rapacious brigands at Unisys demanded license fees for
the use of their patents in creating GIF's?  Well,
they've gone one step beyond now...if you have GIFs on
your site that came from an unlicensed program, they
want to hit *you* for a $5,000 "license fee."  Read
the horrible truth at
<http://corp2.unisys.com/LeadStory/lzw-license.html>

IMO it's time to convert your GIFs to a newer (and
better) format.  Personally, I like the PNG format,
details and free converters at
<http://graphicswiz.com/png/>

Help wipe this scourge from the Earth!

Craig B.