Re: Front sway bar woes

To: Mark R Jahnke <mjahnke@shrike.depaul.edu>
Subject: Re: Front sway bar woes
From: washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1999 20:50:12 -0500
Mark R Jahnke wrote:

> I have heard several people talking about putting smaller sway bars on the
> front of their cars.  What does a smaller sway bar do?  What is the
> advantage of going smaller.  What are disadvantages of having bigger bars?

Have someone take a picture of your car in the middle of a fast corner.
Look at the amount of outside front wheel camber under load.  Dynamic
camber is important to maximizing contact patch, and the bigger bar can
help in this area.  Also will help improve transitional weight
transfer.  The smaller bar works to increase front grip, thus decreasing
understeer, but only to a point depending on the application IMHO.  The
reduction in body roll, and the associated improvement in contact patch
can create the opposite affect in other applications.   You lose a
little inside front wheel traction in tight corners with the big bar,
however, but it is managable.  Don't know about rear bars...never
touched one.  Good luck!

PLW