Re: DC <salute!> sponsorship pullout

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: DC <salute!> sponsorship pullout
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 10:18:50 -0400
Mdmtrsport@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 10/17/99 2:30:40 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> chrstson@netins.net writes:

>> I never understood why people were so suprised that they pulled out.

> It's not the fact that they pulled out, it is their incredibly bad timing.
> Selectively: Not for the Solo @ Nats but right before the Runoffs.

Actually, I see this as very _good_ timing.

The whole flap is over the trunk kits. Autocrossers have nothing to do with
trunk kits. DC <salute!> wants to send a very clear message to the SCCA about
their displeasure over the trunk kits, but doesn't want to screw the innocent
autocrossers any more then they have to - so they delay the pullout until after
Nationals.

This strikes me as a very cool thing to do - and don't let my e-mail address
bother you; I'd feel the same if it was Mazda or Honda or whoever. Neither do I
have any insider information to offer.

> This wasn't simply a business decision, this was a message. Unfortunatly, Neon
> racers are getting caught in the corporate war games between SCCA and DC.

I agree with this though.

DG